(recipe of Becky Kleinwolterink from “Gallery One Ten”)
1 lb. shortening (½ butter)
7/8 cup water
4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1. Mix dough as pie dough, and chill thoroughly.
2. Divide dough into 6-8 parts.
3. Roll each part into long strips, 4″x15″ or 4″x12″.
1¼ lbs. almond paste
1½ cups sugar
½ tsp. almond flavoring
pinch of salt
1. Mix filling ingredients together.
2. Place filling in the center of each long strip, roll, and pinch edges together.
3. Place strips 2″ apart on greased cookie sheets.
4. Bake 15-20 minutes at 450°F.
5. Tops can be brushed with beaten eggs, cream, or butter, or sprinkled with sugar.
6. Cut into pieces to serve.